Purpose of Conducting Health Research

Context

The purpose to conduct researches on health is to find new ideas on how to improve the healthcare system to benefit the general populace. It is similar to adding innovations the current system that is already established.

In today's society in the Philippines, there are multiple health issues that are rampant. Among them include the lack of proper hospitals and health facilities, the "brain drain" of health workers, difficult access to healthcare, prevention of transmittable diseases, the high cost of medicine, and maternal deaths[1]. These fields are broad in the context. Hence, resources are channeled into addressing these problems in hopes of finding a solution. For medical students, the first step to conducting a health research is to look for a problem and define the objectives towards solving the issue.

Experience

Health research is actually very new to me. I had experience of research or thesis as an undergraduate biology student at the University of San Carlos. This came along with a few "mini thesis" in other major subjects I took. Frankly, I am unsure how this health research experience will play out. One thing is for sure: it will be challenging because it is something of a higher scope of what I tried before.

Reflection

While research is indeed challenging and difficult, the purpose for its conduction is to come up or innovate ways on how to improve the healthcare system. Research is essential because the science of medicine changes from time-to-time. It is a fact that what is useful information as of this writing will be obsolete in the next five to ten years. Because of this, research is conducted to catch up with evolution of science itself. As a medical student, it is one of my duties to contribute to society especially in the healthcare sector.

Action

I will cooperate with my groupmates in this research in order to be able to produce a significant result and conclusion. I will utilize what I have learned from my undergraduate years on how to write a research paper. I will be patient and honest during this period. In addition, I will adhere to the moral and ethical codes of conducting a research by doing no harm to subjects and properly acknowledging references to their respective authors.

Among my groupmates, I will make sure to discuss conflicts or disagreements in a mature manner so not to destroy the integrity of the group.

Evaluation

Research will definitely help me in my career as a doctor because of the changes that occur in medicine. Despite that I, including my groupmates, will be having a challenging time in conducting this study, I am eager to produce a significant study that could possibly benefit society. There will be rough times up ahead but I believe this training will both benefit myself and the community in general.

References and Credits:
[1] http://www.philstar.com/health-and-family/786108/top-10-health-agendas-philippines
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/conducting-health-research-evaluation
Healthcare Icons: http://images.clipartpanda.com/health-care-clipart-13662147171439663036health-care.jpg

Comments