Standing Up for What Is Right: How I Found My True Calling


"Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone."
- Suzy Kassem

Just last September 28, 2018, an acquainted friend of mine whom I only met twice posted on Instagram on how she was bullied and body shamed when she was in high school. It was a long and thorough post as I read it word for word and understood what she wanted to share. Suddenly, after reading her post, I felt touched and moved by how she endured it and how she eventually overcame the adversity. She further added how an individual should not be judged based on their appearance or what they do.  I then felt to be on her shoes, as during high school I was also ostracized for loving Pokemon, LEGO, and Cartoon Network while the "bad kid" culture started making an appearance among my newer classmates. My sympathy for her and those who suffered such horrible experiences shot up to 100% immediately.

While I usually do not comment on her posts since she does not follow me back on Instagram (NOTE: she however follows me back on Twitter and we are both friends on Facebook where we sometimes communicate. I would like to point out there was a degree of awkwardness between her and I since I unsuccessfully tried to hit on her from November 2016-January 2017 until she had boyfriend for roughly 11 months until they broke up with the guy earlier this year). This time however, something was telling me to take a stand and support her. So what did I do? Overcome with emotion to the point I almost gave a tear, I gathered up the courage and confidence and commented the following below, being the second user to do so:
(Note: I covered her name since I respect her privacy on the matter.)
*Hait (meaning "sharp" in Bisaya) was the name of our mountaineering batch applicant group in from November 2016-April 2017. Even though she spelled my name wrong, I don't mind because that's not the meaning of the comment.

Though our conversation was short and simple, I felt something good inside me once she replied. Normally, I would not expect her to reply since as I mentioned she does not follow me back and frankly I was surprised she did. Knowing that I stood with her and made her feel better, I felt something great as well: the feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment that could not be attained with material things. My "The Big Good" instincts really kicked in here and it helped uplift someone. At this point, I was about to come to the point of showing emotional tears though I ultimately held on. Because of that, I then finally realized what I'm good at: making people feel better and uplifting them.  

The whole night, I could hardly sleep knowing of the good deed I did to her. I was excited to start anew and start uplifting my family and friends in times of problems and adversity. It is a changed outlook of my life since during my first year in medical school in August 2017 which was half-hearted to begin with to the point I became prone to violent outbursts and spouts of rage in the finals months of first year. After those 10 months (August 7, 2017-May 10, 2018) of taking up something I did not really like in the first place, I decided that the field of medicine is not for me so I decided to pursue a masteral degree in Biology (that will be the subject of another blog).

As for her and I, all I could say is that I'm happy for her on her current state right now. She will be working as a certified public account (CPA) in Manila in the next following weeks to come. Since we only met two times, my only wish was that my parents actually allowing me to go to the overnight camping trip in the beach destination of Tabuelan, north of Cebu City last December 2016. They did not allow me to go since they feared for my safety. And if you are wondering why a then-20 year old could not go, because adults here in the Philippines that still live with their parents are still subject to their rules. Had I been allowed to go, I would have a more meaningful time to talk to her on the beach under the night December sky and maybe open up a few things in life. We were awkward before but now that was in the past. I actually even feel that our friendship, despite being only limited to seeing each other twice, has been strengthened due to me standing up for her. The thing is because of the satisfaction and fulfillment I felt, I am happy at myself for doing what is right. I then said to myself: "Despite having no girlfriend since birth in my 22 years of life, I'm happy I still stood for what is right. And today, 9/28/18, I made someone whom I barely knew and met twice feel better from her insecurities."

Map showing the distance Cebu City to Tabuelan. It is a 2-3 hour drive. Two reasons why my parents did not allow me to go to that overnight camping at the beach was because (1) the place was far and it was during Christmas season which makes highways and provincial roads prone to accidents and (2) they didn't really trust the whole mountaineering group. I know I feel I missed a lot by not going to that trip but I now put the past behind me.

The only thing I wish and hope is that I get to see her again even how highly unlikely it is, judging by how she would go to Manila to start working. Hopefully, if it is in God's plan that we are to meet, I would like to have a deep conversation with her over a cup of coffee or an overnight hike.

This post is dedicated to those who suffered bullying and body shaming. To those currently suffering from this, just ignore them and continue to stand strong because in the end, it is them who are insecure and envious unlike those who just let it pass and end up becoming victorious.

P.S. I was actually listening to Hans Zimmer's "The Time" (Inception Theme) and Eminem's "Not Afraid" to set the mood as I wrote this post.

Comments